Thursday, August 11, 2016

Shiny Broken Pieces by Sona Charaipotra & Dhonielle Clayton


As a dancer, I really appreciated this duology, which started with Tiny Pretty Things. Plus, I'm really digging the cover of Shiny Broken Pieces. If you haven't read Tiny Pretty Things, all you need to know (for now) is that I loved this book, I gave it 5 stars and it will be on my list of "Favorite Books of 2016", it had that second book spunk, and it was really, really good. 

Shiny Broken Pieces picks up where the first book left off, just a few months later. Gigi has recovered, June is June (hopefully you know what I mean), Bette has been suspended, and Cassie is back. Shiny Broken Pieces had a lot of action, surprise twists and turns, and character development. First off, on the note of action and twists and turns, I did not see **SPOILER ALERT** that it was Will that pushed Gigi in front of the taxi. I was really surprised by that. Now, on character development. For the most part, in Tiny Pretty Things, I thought that all of the characters were extremely unlikeable, with the exception of Gigi, who was a nice girl. Bette was aterrible, horrible, no good, very bad girl. June was, to, just not in as obvious a way. But in Shiny Broken Pieces, I was so surprised to find that Bette was my favorite character, and Gigi was probably my least favorite. Gigi stooped down to Bette's level; granted, it was under the influence of Cassie, but still, that's no excuse for all the crap she pulled. Bette, on the other hand, seemed to have learned her lesson and decided to change for the better. This shows the incredible character development that took place. 

I also really appreciated that a) there was a great amount of diversity in the book(s) as we NEED diversity in YA and b) the novel simultaneously addressed the lack of diversity/the issue of diversity in the ballet world, which I know all to well. While Bette was a rich, white, blonde girl, June was Korean and Gigi African-American.

Shiny Broken Pieces was excellent; I liked this book a lot more than the first, and the first book was pretty darn good. 

5/5 Stars.
Grade: A

And as Ballet is a big thing in this book, I thought I would post the picture below, of me in The Nutcracker in 2015. ;)


1 comment: