Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Unrivaled by Alyson Noël



I have seen on Goodreads that Unrivaled has gotten a lot of mixed reviews, so I just want to say outright that I LOVED this book. It ended on a huge cliffhanger and I need the second book (Unrivaled is a planned trilogy) right now!

Unrivaled follows the perspectives of Layla, and aspiring journalist; Tommy, an aspiring singer; and Aster, an aspiring actress; and occasionally, Madison, the biggest movie star of the ages. Layla, Tommy, and Aster, attempting to make it big in Los Angeles, take coveted positions in a "competition" as promoters for a billionaire's L.A. clubs. But then Madison, who's presence crosses paths with all three main characters, goes missing. And Unrivaled turns into a Sara Shepard-like mystery. 

Unrivaled was a really quick read for me because it was so captivating, and as a result, every spare moment I had was spent reading this book. I also loved the location and the way Hollywood was woven into it. Unrivaled definitely goes on my Goodreads shelf of "Favorite Books of 2016".

Now, for spoilers. DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING IF YOU HAVE NOT READ UNRIVALED!

Points/Questions I want to make/ask:

1. What is the secret of Madison's past? Clearly she is somewhere from the South, but the only detailed thing we are told is Madison was involved in some kind of fire, and she burned HERSELF (I haven't figured out why, though) and that is how she got the scar on her arm

2. I am almost positive that Madison is still alive, and she sure isn't dead, and Aster DEFINITELY did NOT kill her. That leads me to this question: how does finding blood on someone's clothes mean that said person is dead? I felt like there were hints all over the book that Madison was planning to orchestrate her disappearance in order to protect the secret of her past. I got the impression that implicating Aster was part of the plan, which leads me to my next point. 

3. Does Ryan now know about the truth of Madison's past? He kind of sort of threatened her with the whole "tell me how you really got that scar" speech, but did she tell him the truth and he then agreed to help her? Madison did say she "wished him the best"...

4. What did Ryan do to Aster???

5. If Madison is still alive, where the hell is she? 

6. What was with that ending scene?!

No comments:

Post a Comment