Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Tumbling by Caela Carter



**I received this book from Penguin Teen for review (thank you Penguin Teen!!!)


First off, I just want to say how pretty and creative this cover is. Tumbling follows the perspectives of Grace, Leigh, Wilhelmina, Camille and Monica, five elite gymnasts, over the course of the two-day olympic trials. The cover features a girl grasping on to the olympic rings, which, in my opinion, is extremely clever, the idea of having to tightly grasp on to your dream in order to achieve it. 

I really liked the culturally important references that Caela Carter made through the novel, such as through eating disorders and to the LGBTQ community. The character growth throughout this novel was tremendous; the amount of growth and change that these characters went through over the course of two days is unbelievable. Also in regards to the characters, I found it impossible to specifically root/favor just one of the girls, and I think that can be attributed to Caela Carter's fantastic writing. 

I also really appreciated the short biographies of each girl at the beginning of the book and the glossary of gymnastics terms at the end of the book. It was really helpful and the reader will find his/herself constantly referencing these two resources to better understand the novel. The release date of Tumbling was also strategically released at the beginning of the summer, with the olympic games coming up in just a few short months. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I love gymnastics, and though I am waaay to tall to be a gymnast, I loved that I got to be a part of the gymnastics world for a little while. While Tumbling was/is not one of my favorite books of the year (so far), I still really enjoyed it.

4.5/5 Stars 

Check out Tumbling on Goodreads here

Check out Caela Carter's website here

No comments:

Post a Comment