Tuesday, June 28, 2016

My Lady Jane by Brodi Ashton, Cynthia Hand and Jodi Meadows



"Was that a horse joke?"
"Neigh."

It is moments like these that make My Lady Jane so incredibly funny and entertaining. My Lady Jane, an alternate history of the story of Lady Jane Grey, has you laughing a the dedication, before the story even starts. The dedications read "for anyone who knows there was enough room for Leonardo DiCaprio on that door" and "And for England. For what we're about to do to your history." It's obvious from the start that the book is going to be hilarious, which it is, but it is also mind-blowingly fantastic. Instead of the Protestants vs. the Catholics, it's the eδians (pronounced "ethians"), people who can shape-shift into animals, vs. the verities, people who can't. In my opinion, this is super creative.

My Lady Jane follows the perspectives of three different characters (each of the three authors wrote the perspective of one of the three characters): Edward, Jane, and Gifford. All of them mingle in the plot of Lady Jane Grey's life, just not as history knows it. Lots of historical figures make appearances in this book, and even more are mentioned. You will find yourself wanting to research these historical figures. You will also probably want to look at a family tree of Henry VIII. Needless to say, My Lady Jane is absolutely fantastic.


I had the pleasure of going to the Lady Janies' signing, and if you have a chance, you should to. They do a theatre performance with props, and they read from a scene that contains the quote at the beginning of this post. 


My Lady Jane definitely is one of my favorite books of the year, and it will be on my "Favorite Books of 2016" shelf on Goodreads if you would like to take a look.


Add My Lady Jane to your shelf on Goodreads here.


Visit the My Lady Jane website here

No comments:

Post a Comment